Our 2022 YARD Chief Youth Courage Award recipient is Agango! Agango has been involved with YARD since 2020, after being referred by his school counsellor. Agango presented with several risk factors that indicated a need for support and resources, which YARD was able to assist with.
When he first met his YARD team, Agango was struggling in school and it took some time for his YARD team to engage with him as he is very reserved by nature. Over time, Agango learned that they were trusted adults, and they could help him reach his goals for the future. They spent time with him participating in pro-social activities such as bowling, lunch, and Christmas shopping, while helping him apply for jobs, keep up with schoolwork and helping him navigate peer pressures and positive decision making. Agango thrived with his YARD team’s encouragement and he began to see a positive future for himself.
Since transitioning to high school, Agango has joined the football team. This has helped build his confidence and provides him with the opportunity to engage with his peers in a positive manner. Ultimately, YARD has provided Agango with the support, supervision, and encouragement he needs to succeed. He has become a positive role model for his younger siblings, and we believe he has a bright future ahead of him. Congratulations, Agango on this incredible achievement!
Fast Facts – About Agango
1.What do you want people to know about you? I like sports, spending time outside, and spending time with my family.
2. Who is your hero? My football coach, Alex. He helps kids and pushes them to be their very best.
3. What do you love about Calgary? I really love the parks in Calgary, especially Fish Creek Provincial Park.
4. What do you think are the main reasons youth get involved in crime? I think youth get involved in crime because they want to be cool. They hang around with bad people and get influenced by peer pressure.
5. What do you think would stop youth from getting involved in crime? Having good friends, support systems and attending school regularly. I also think people need to learn how to ask for help when they need it.
6. Where do you see yourself in the next few years? I will still be in school with a goal to graduate. I will be thinking about my future and will hopefully get a job.
7. What do you do for fun? I enjoy football and play Defensive Back. I also like sports video games, being outside with friends and the TV show, Superman and Lois.
8. Tell us about one thing you would like to accomplish this year? This year I want to work on improving my physical fitness and reaching a new personal record for my bench press.